The classic carrot cake recipe generally has a lot of oil and is dense, sweet and heavy. This gluten free version, based on a recipe from the wonderful Jude Blereau’s Wholefood Baking, is much lighter and a great deal healthier. I used what ingredients I had available to hand and opted for a loaf tin rather than a small round tin making it more portable for travel.
115 g rapadura or soft brown sugar
finely grated zest 2 oranges
80 ml grape seed oil
200 g grated carrot
120 g almond meal
90 g buckwheat flour
½ tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 180ºC and line a small loaf tin with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk the rapadura sugar and eggs together until thick. Add the orange zest and then gradually whisk in the grape seed oil.
- Toss together the grated carrot, almond meal, buckwheat flour, ground cardamom, baking powder and salt.
- Fold the egg mixture through the carrot mixture until well combined and then scrape into the loaf tin.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until set and firm to the touch.
- Leave to cool on a wire cooling rack.