Liven up a basic hummus with roasted pumpkin and serve with a seasonal vegie bounty for a delicious and healthy base. Also fantastic served with fried lamb mince & pita bread or roast chicken and lemon wedges.
500 g butternut pumpkin, peeled & seeded
1 bunch multi colour heirloom carrots, large carrots halved & tops removed (reserved some for garnish)
8 radishes, halved
400 g cooked or tinned chickpeas
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 lemon, juice of
4 tbsp tahini
1 tbsp ground cumin
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
sea salt & freshly cracked black pepper
1 bunch purple sprouting broccoli, lrg pieces halved
1 avocado, quartered
½ cup roasted walnuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 200 c.
- Cut the pumpkin into small chunks. With the carrots and radishes, scatter over a large baking tray and drizzle over a little olive oil.
- Bake for 20 – 30 minutes until golden brown and soft.
- Puree the pumpkin with the chickpeas, adding a little warm water for a spreadable consistency. When smooth, add the garlic, lemon juice, tahini, cumin, 3 tbsp evoo, salt and pepper.
- Blanch the purple sprouting broccoli in salted water. Run under cold water until cool and drain well.
- Spread the pumpkin hummus in a large circle a large platter. Pile the carrots, radishes, purple sprouting broccoli and avocado halves in the middle and then scatter over the walnuts.
- Squeeze over the juice of a lime before garnishing with the basil leaves and a few leaves from the carrot tops.
- Serve with freshly cracked black pepper.