This is a quick and easy lunch or barbecue platter idea for the busy Christmas period and when you want to take things easy in the kitchen over the holidays. Pulses and grains are a natural flavour-match for all types of beer, especially barley. Purchasing sliced cold beef from the deli cabinet of a good grocer and using drained and rinsed tinned chickpeas cuts the preparation time down for this lovely cold platter considerably. For a meat-free version, double the chickpeas, barley and spices and scatter over crumbled feta or drizzle with Greek yoghurt along with the dressing.
3 + 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp ground cumin
1 ½ tsp ground allspice
1 tsp sea salt flakes
400 g cooked chickpeas
120 g cooked pearl barley, brown rice or red quinoa
30 g Italian parsley leaves
20 g coriander leaves
250 g cherry tomatoes, halved
4 sml radishes, thinly sliced
2 tbsp lemon juice
½ tsp sumac [optional]
400 g cooked cold beef, sliced
1 sml white salad onion
freshly cracked black pepper
- Heat 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil in a large frying pan and add the spices, sea salt flakes, chickpeas and barley. Gently fry for 3 – 4 minutes until the barley and chickpeas have warmed and are coated with the spices and oil. Transfer to a bowl to cool a little.
- Toss the parsley, coriander, tomatoes and radish together and place around the edge of a large platter.
- Whisk the lemon juice, remaining 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, salt, sugar and sumac together until well combined.
- Spoon the chickpeas and barley down the middle of the platter together with the sliced cold beef.
- Drizzle over the dressing before slicing the salad onion over the top using a mandolin.
- Serve with freshly cracked black pepper.