Tapenade is a wonderful condiment from Provence in the south of France and can be served and used in so many different summer dishes. This very quick and easy savoury pastry can be served with Greek Yoghurt and salad greens for a complete meal or cut into smaller squares and enjoyed with drinks in the early evening.
(Makes 12 rectangles)
300 g pitted Kalamata olives
120 g capers, drained & roughly chopped
16 anchovies, drained & roughly chopped
4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
extra virgin olive oil
4 sheets puff pastry
¼ cup milk
300 g zucchini, thinly sliced
250 g goat’s cheese
2 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- Make the tapenade by pulsing the olives, capers, anchovies and garlic in a food processor with enough extra virgin olive oil to make a course paste.
- Preheat oven to 200 c.
- Lay 2 sheets of puff pastry on 2 lined baking trays. Beat the egg and milk together in a small bowl and brush around the edges of the pastry sheets.
- Divide the tapenade in half and spread each half on the pastry bases. Divide the zucchini slices in half and layer each half on top followed by crumbling the goats cheese evenly over both pastries and then a tablespoon of the toasted pine nuts over each.
- Brush the edges of the two remaining pastry sheets and then lay on top of the filling, pulling the edge a little to meet and press down on top of the base. Press the edges together with a fork and then brush with egg wash.
- Gently score a diagonal pattern in the pastry top before baking for 25 minutes and serving warm.