Zucchinis are one of the most prolific bearers of fruiting vegetables in the summer vegetable garden, requiring as many and varied recipes as possible. This recipe is quick, easy, economical, vegetarian, gluten-free and can also be used as a filling for individual filo savoury pastries to serve with drinks. The uncooked rice absorbs the moisture from the zucchinis, binding the filling as it cooks. An all-round winner.
(Serves 4 – 6)
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground allspice
2 tbsp olive oil
500 g [2 med] zucchini, coarsely grated
100 g long-grain white rice
2 lrg free-range eggs
100 g feta, crumbled
1 tbsp fresh dill, roughly chopped
½ cup pine nuts
½ cup mozzarella or cheddar, grated
- Preheat oven to 180 c. Line a bread tin with baking paper.
- Gently fry the onion, salt and ground allspice in the olive oil until softened. Mix the grated zucchini, onion mix, rice, eggs, feta, dill and ¼ cup of the pine nuts together until well combined.
- Spoon into prepared tin and smooth the top flat. Sprinkle over the mozzarella and remaining ¼ cup pine nuts.
- Bake in the oven for 40 – 50 minutes until golden and firm to touch.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the tin to completely cool. It will slice more cleanly if chilled.