This delicious savoury dish highlights Bravo’s meaty, dense texture and intensifies the spicy, wine-like flavours when cooked with the skin on. A perfect small tapas-style dish befitting of this unique boutique apple.
(Serves 4 as a tapas / small dish)
2 Bravo apples
¼ cup water
1 small red onion, peeled & thinly sliced
1 tbsp olive oil
100 g chorizo sausage, finely diced
½ cup red wine
1 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1 tbsp pine nuts, toasted
few small sprigs fresh rosemary, to garnish
freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 180˚C.
- Leaving the skin on, use an apple corer to core the apple and then cut in halves lengthwise.
- Make 2 cm deep cuts close together over the skin side of the Bravo apple halves.
- With the skin side up, place in a buttered baking dish, pour in the water and cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Fry the red onion in the olive oil until softened and then stir through the chorizo and rosemary. Continue to fry on medium heat until the chorizo has browned.
- Pour in the red wine and the Bravo apple juices from the baking dish and simmer 3 – 5 minutes until reduced and syrupy.
- Spoon the chorizo mix on top of the Bravo apples and return to the oven to bake a further 10 minutes.
- Serve garnished with fresh rosemary sprigs, the toasted pine nuts and freshly cracked black pepper.