This is a very tasty gluten-free schnitzel that pares perfectly with Hippie Veggies Nutty Pesto. Take care to use medium heat when browning as the gluten-free crumb ingredients will brown faster than a regular breadcrumb coating.
445 g pork medallions
4 tbsp + ½ cup chickpea flour
½ tsp curry powder
2 tbsp sesame seeds
2 tbsp pepitas
2 tbsp pine nuts
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or crushed
½ tsp salt flakes & freshly cracked black pepper, plus extra
1 tbsp + extra Hippy Veggies Nutty Pesto
30 g butter
3 – 4 tbsp olive oil
Fresh herbs, to garnish
Lemon wedges, to serve
- Using a mallet or the back of a large spoon, flatten out the pork medallions until 1 cm thick.
- Roughly chop the pepitas and pine nuts and place in a bowl together with the sesame seeds, 4 tbsp chickpea flour, curry powder, ½ tsp salt flakes and a little freshly cracked black pepper.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with 1 tbsp Hippy Veggie Nutty Pesto.
- Place the ½ cup chickpea flour on a plate.
- Dust the pork medallions in the chickpea flour, dip in the beaten egg mixture until well-covered before pressing into the seed / nut mixture until well coated.
- Preheat oven to 180˚c
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a large frying pan until the butter starts to brown and gently fry the schnitzels until just golden. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Serve with a dollop of Hippy Veggies Nutty Pesto, lemon wedges and garnished with fresh herbs.
- Pork Shoulder steaks could also be used instead of Pork Medallions to prepare these schnitzels.
- Serve with a fresh green salad, sauerkraut side or a finely shredded cabbage coleslaw.