The flavor of walnuts benefits greatly when roasted and the skins rubbed away. Here they’re used as a crust on salmon, that when served with slightly bitter radicchio and lemon, makes for a balanced delicious taste. Buy your walnuts from a busy gourmet grocer or health food store to ensure freshness.
2 cups walnuts
2 tbsp + extra finely chopped rosemary
1 tsp salt flakes
4 x 180 – 200 g pieces fresh Salmon fillet
extra virgin olive oil
salt flakes & freshly cracked black pepper
2 handfuls radicchio or mixed salad leaves
4 lemon cheeks / wedges
- Preheat oven to 200 c.
- Roast the walnuts for 10 – 15 minutes until golden brown. Leave to cool a little before placing in the middle of a tea towel.
- Gather up the corners and rub the skins away from walnuts. Using a coarse sieve or colander, shake to separate the skins from the nuts.
- Place the nuts in a food processor together with the rosemary and salt flakes and pulse until the texture of coarse breadcrumbs. Transfer to a bowl.
- Lightly rub the salmon with a little olive oil and season.
- Evenly press the nuts onto the salmon fillet and place on a baking paper-lined baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Serve on radicchio leaves drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and with a lemon cheek on the side.
- Garnish with the extra chopped rosemary and a little more salt flakes.