Warming spices such as cumin, ginger, cinnamon and turmeric are almost as therapeutic as their delicious taste on the cold days of winter. If you can’t source the Middle Eastern spice blend za’atar, use toasted sesame seeds instead to garnish.
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 ½ tsp ground ginger
1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt flakes
4 tbsp + extra olive oil
1 tbsp water
12 chicken drumsticks, skin on
2 red onions
1 cup spring onions, thinly sliced
1 cup fresh coriander leaves
1 tsp za’atar or toasted sesame seeds
1 cup Greek Yoghurt
- Preheat oven to 200˚C.
- Coarsely grind the coriander and cumin seeds and mix together with the remaining spices, salt, olive oil and water in a large bowl. Toss the chicken drumsticks through to evenly coat.
- Peel and thickly cut the red onion lengthwise and scatter over the base of a baking dish.
- Lay the drumsticks on top and drizzle with a little more olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes and then turn the drumsticks over.
- Bake a further 15 – 20 minutes.
- Serve garnished with the spring onions, fresh coriander and za’atar with a bowl of Greek Yoghurt on the side.