Savoury quick-breads are an easy throw-together snack or accompaniment to a picnic spread, to serve alongside soup, as alternative to sweet scones or as an easy car snack. The inclusion of hemp seeds bolsters protein and healthy essential fatty acids. Perfect for those school holiday road trips when ‘I’m hungry’ or ‘are we there yet?’ is delivered from the back seat for the 6th time.
Makes 1 large loaf
2 ¼ cups wholemeal plain flour
1 ¾ tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp curry powder
2 tbsp hemp seeds
1 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
3 cups coarsely grated zucchini (approx. 2 medium zucchinis)
1 ½ cups coarsely grated Parmesan
1/3 cup plain yoghurt or sour cream
100 g butter, melted
½ tsp smoked paprika
- Preheat oven to 180˚C and line a large loaf tin with baking paper.
- Place the flour, baking powder, bicarb soda, curry powder, 1 tbsp hemp seeds, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Evenly toss through the grated zucchini and 1 cup of the grated Parmesan.
- Beat the eggs and yoghurt until combined.
- Fold the egg mixture and melted butter through the zucchini mixture until all well mixed together before spooning into the prepared tin and smoothing the top.
- Scatter over the remaining ½ cup grated Parmesan, 1 tbsp hemp seeds and then sprinkle over the ½ tsp smoked paprika.
- Bake in the oven for 40 – 45 minutes until a skewer comes away clean.