Gluten-free, egg-free, meat-free but not taste-free, these delicious little vegetarian rissoles, patties, burgers, whatever you want to call them are a fabulous reason to depart from any carnivorous desires – if only for a short while.
- 2 med sweet potatoes
- ½ cup quinoa
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ cup fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- ½ cup chickpea flour
- ½ cup pepitas
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- sea salt & freshly cracked black pepper
- fresh coriander, to garnish
- rice bran or vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 radish, thinly sliced to garnish
- 4 lemon wedges, to serve
Preheat oven to 200 c.
- Place the whole sweet potatoes directly on the oven racks with a tray placed underneath the rack to catch any drips and cook for 25 – 30 minutes until soft.
- Simmer the quinoa in 1 cup salted water for 8 – 10 minutes until tender and then drain in a sieve. This yields around 1 ½ cups cooked quinoa.
- Peel the cooked sweet potato and weigh 460 g.
- Mash the quinoa, spices, ¼ cup chopped coriander, ¼ cup of the chickpea flour and seasoning into the 460 g of sweet potato with a fork.
- Add the pepitas and stir through to combine.
- Mix the remaining ¼ cup chickpea flour and sesame seeds together on a plate and then divide the mixture into 12 small patties.
- Coat each in the flour / sesame mix and then fry in oil until golden.
- Serve garnished with coriander leaves, radish slices and lemon wedges.